Skip to content
The Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Heritage of Words, Grade 12)
Idea of the Topic (What’s it based on?)
- Stream of consciousness technique (interior monologue of the story)
- Magical Realism
- The story describes the growth of a young boy into an adult man.
- There’s no plot in the story.
- The boy saw a large ship in the March night.
- Exactly one year later, the boy saw the same ship but his mother didn’t believe.
- The mother goes to the town to buy a chair.
- Mother dies sitting on the ill-fated (evil) chair.
- The boy started stealing for living, being an orphant.
- After few years, during March, the boy saw the same ship and tried to show to the villagers.
- The boy made a plan to show them the ship.
- The boy steals a boat during the March night to get near the ship and brings the ship close to the villagers, where it blows the whistle.
- All the people in the village believed him.
- The more the boy visualizes the ship, the more mature he becomes.
- He was hated by the people/villagers.
- People believed that the boy’s mother brought evil of the chair.
- He preferred to steal fish rather than living from the charity.
- Isolation and anger had made him stronger.
- Ideas are represented without syntax or logical sequence.
- Mixture of reality and dream.
- “Now they are going to see who I am”. Show the importance.