The Complex nitrogenous organic compounds which are essentials for growth and maintenance of life are called proteins. They are macromolecules in which large number of amino acid molecules are linked together by peptide bond (-CONH). proteins are polymer if amino acids.
At normal PH and temperature, each protein takes a shape that is energetically most stable. This shape is specific to a given amino acid and is called its native conformation. The process which changes the native conformation of a protein without affecting its chemical composition is called denaturation of protein.
What happens when a protein is denatured ?
When a protein is denatured, it changes its physical as well as biological change without changing the chemical composition of protein. Example solidification of white part if egg on heating.
What are the essential conditions of denaturation of protein ?
At normal PH and temperature, each protein takes a shape that is energetically most stable. This shape is specific to a given amino acid and conformation of protein is called denaturation. So, the process that brings about changes in physical as well as biological properties of the proteins without effecting its chemical composition is called denaturation of protein. Proteins are very sensitive to the action of heat, minerals acids, alkalies, change in Ph and exposure of uv rays. Some important features of denaturation are:
- Chemically denturation doesnot change the primary structure but changes the secondary and tertiary structure of proteins.
- Denaturation of proteins can be caused by changes in PH changes in PH. temperature or by adding other denaturating agent.
- Denatured protein loses its biological activity.
- During Denaturation, the proteins molecules uncoil from an ordered and specific conformation into a more random conformation leading to precipitation.
- Dentauration may or may be reversible.