Explain characteristics of computer.
[Very Important Question]
Computer is a useful and powerful machine which can perform various tasks. The major characteristics of computer are given below:
- Speed: A computer can work at very high speed. It can work at only a little fraction of a second. 1 second is a very long time period for the computer. A powerful computer can perform billions of operations in just one second. The speed of computer is calculated in MHz (Megahertz).
- Storage Capacity: A computer can store a large amount of data.
User can use this data at any time. Any kind of data can be stored in computer. Text, graphics, pictures, audio and video files can be stored easily. We can store data in storage devices like hard disk,
pendrive, etc. in terms of KB, MB, GB, TB, PB, etc.
- Versatility: A computer is a versatile machine that can perform various tasks. It can be used for various purposes like accounting,
playing games, listening music, etc. A computer can perform many operations in a very less time period.
- Diligence: A computer never feels tired and bored to do a smae task many times. So, it can perform the same task with same speed and accuracy even for hours and days if it is provided good environment and correct input.
- Accuracy: Accuracy means the capacity to provide accurate result. Computer can process very large amount of data and provide/generate error-free or almost 100% error-free results. A modern computer performs millions of operations in a very less time period with no error. If we get wrong output, then it is because of our wrong input. It can be termed as Garbage-In Garbage-Out (GIGO).
- Automation: Computers can be programmed to do a series of complex tasks automatically. So, they have been used to control the quality of products in industries which perform the task without any input from the user.
- Word Length: World length means the number of bits that CPU can process in parallel at a time. Modern processors usuallu have a word length of 8, 16, 24, 32, or 64 bits, while modern general-purpose computers usually use 32 or 64 bits. The power of computer depends upon the word length that makes the more powerful computer.
- Communication: Computer is a very important means of communication. We have very fast and convenient access to information if we have an Internet connection. Through e-mail, we can communicate with a person sitting thousands of miles away in seconds. Therefore, a computer can be used as means of communication for faster communication services.